How to Eat Less Without Being Hungry
As part of food rebalancing, it is recommended to reduce the number of calories consumed each day. But, how do you manage to meet this challenge without suffering from hunger or stress? Nathalie Négro, a dietician and head of the Brides-les-Bains Thermal Nutrition Center, reveals the right ways to reduce the amount of food eaten during the day and to lose weight permanently.
There is a simple principle often verified by scientific studies: “the bigger the size of the container, the more we eat,” recalls Nathalie Négro. Indeed, a study recently published by the Journal of the Association for Consumer Research found that using half-size plates made it possible to reduce by one-third (30%) the amount of food consumed. Similarly, researchers at the University of Cambridge (UK) said that in smaller plates, the amount of food could be reduced by 16% (the equivalent of a reduction of 280 calories). “The use of smaller containers is also valid for glasses,” explains Nathalie Négro , a dietician and head of the Brides-les-Bains Thermal Nutrition Center, especially when it comes to drinking alcohol and cocktails, very sweet, true enemies of weight loss.
Tricks To Reduce The Nubmer of Calories
- Before starting a meal, drinking two glasses of water allows you to eat less quickly and fill your stomach. To regulate his appetite, one can open the meal with a soup. Be careful to always decorate solid foods (avoiding fresh cream, cheese and croutons), as al dente vegetables to cause chewing that promotes satiety (feeling hungry).
- Vary the consistencies (liquid, solid) during the meal and never compose a meal with a soup, puree and compote. “You tend to eat more when the food is liquid, because the effect of the fibers and the mastication are non-existent,” explains Nathalie Négro .
- Slicing the bread in bakery and not at home: the slices will be thin and so, in equal quantity of slices, will eat less bread!
- Place the entire dish on the plate, consisting of one half of vegetables, one quarter of starch, and one quarter of protein.
“Serving on a plate, leaving the dish in the kitchen, storing it or freezing it directly means you can not use it again and reduce the calories consumed,” recalls Nathalie Négro.
- Idem for the cheese, we prepare small plates before the meal. And, taking out the cheese before it allows to rise in temperature and to give it more flavor.
- Beware of cooked quantities: start by cooking the right quantities so you do not have to refill. But, if it is easier for you to prepare dishes for the week, freeze the remaining dose.
- Use the most filling foods such as pulses and whole cereals cooked al dente to maintain them at a Low Glycemic Index (GI). Indeed, they are effective in controlling hunger, regulating insulin levels and decreasing fat mass without reducing muscle.
To Eat Less, You Have To Be Patient
When you begin to lose weight, the stomach regains its normal capacity (from 1 to 1.5 liters) after three weeks and leptin, a hormone that “cuts” the appetite, helps us to reduce our food intake. But, slimming is never linear and always very progressive. The closer you get to the weight of form, the longer the weight loss. “The hardest thing is to change your habits, manage your emotions,” concludes Nathalie Négro. “We do not try to reach a certain number of kilos in a given time, we try to find a long-term sustainable balance”.
Even if you have to try to eat the same amount each day, you must listen to your feelings of hunger and eat accordingly. When we are not hungry, we do not eat.